The Kids Guardian Workshop
The Kids Guardian Workshop is our most popular workshop. It is typically conducted several times each month at businesses, preschools, churches, and children’s organizations. Through easy to understand examples, and real-life stories, the workshop educates parents on the legal and practical steps they must take to protect their children if the parents were seriously injured or passed away. Plus, parents can name permanent guardians for their kids for free (a $500 value).
Who Should Attend
The Kids Guardian Workshop is designed for parents of minor children.
What You'll Learn
- How to ensure your child would be raised by who you want
- How to ensure your child would not be placed in temporary foster care
- An easy three-step process for choosing a guardian
- Six common mistakes parents make when choosing a guardian and how to avoid them
- How to avoid a long and expensive court process known as probate
- How to make sure the money you leave behind would be immediately and privately available to raise your kids
- How to protect your spouse and children’s inheritance from creditors, predators, future spouses, and lawsuits
- How to make your medical wishes known and ensure they are honored
- How to leave behind far more than just money
How long is the Kids Guardian Workshop?
This workshop usually runs between 1 ½ - 2 Hours.
Does my spouse need to attend with me?
Usually, it is best if both spouses can attend, but it is not required. The presenters usually provide alternatives to help the spouse who did not attend name guardians.
What if I am divorced? Can I still name guardians?
Yes. You can and should name guardians for your child even if you are not married to your child's other legal parent. Typically, guardianship automatically remains with the surviving parent, but you should still name a guardian in case your ex predeceases you or cannot or will not take the children.
Can I name a guardian who lives out of the country?
Yes, you can.
Who keeps the legal document I complete at the workshop?
You keep the Nomination of Guardian Form that you complete at the workshop. Our law firm does not keep a copy unless you are a client. You do not have to publicly file your form with the courts. This would only happen if you actually were to pass away.
What if my spouse and I do not agree on who should be the guardian?
You're normal. We recommend you both attend the workshop so you can both participate in our easy three-step process for choosing a guardian, and to learn the six common mistakes that most parents (and their lawyers) make when choosing a guardian. The presenters can also offer you additional guidance if you still cannot agree after going through the process.
What if I already have an estate plan?
Many parents who attend our workshops already have some type of estate planning in place. They use the workshop as an opportunity to re-evaluate their choices, or to feel more confident that their existing plan will fully protect them. If you have already named guardians, we usually suggest that you do not complete the legal form at the workshop. You should still attend to learn about additional protections you may need, such as how to protect your child from temporary foster care in an emergency situation.
Can I bring my kids with me to the workshop?
Our event schedule will note if childcare is offered at the workshop you will be attending. Many people bring their babies with them into the workshop even when childcare if offered. It's completely up to you. We do not recommend toddlers or older children attend, mainly because of the subject matter discussed.
"The Kids Gaurdian Workshop"
- Date: Thursday, May 17th
- Time: 5:30pm- 7:00pm
- Location: Child's World Pre-School, 18422 Culver Dr, Irvine, CA
- Date: Wednesday, June 20th
- Time: 7:30pm- 9:00pm
- Location: Geneva Presbyterian, 24301 El Toro Rd, Laguna Woods, CA 92637
- Date: Wednesday, September 12th
- Time: 6:00pm-7:30pm
- Location: UCP of Orange County, 980 Roosevelt #100, Irvine, CA 92620
Our Kids Guardian Workshop receives outstanding reviews, including these:
- This Kids Guardian Workshop event was a huge eye-opener for me! As difficult as it is for me to trust someone and choose a permanent guardian, I know it is better now to have one, than not. (Mom, Lakewood)
- Excellent workshop with simple advice to name guardians. (Mom, Cerritos)
- Wonderful and informative workshop. I highly recommend this to all parents. (Jenny, Santa Ana)
- This workshop made me realize how seriously unprepared we are for our kids, and made us motivated to plan for them today! (Judy, Irvine)
Find a Workshop
Contact Bonnie Johnson, Client Services Director at (949) 718-0420 for assistance or to inquire if we can conduct our Special Needs Workshop for your organization.