10 Legal Protections for Children with Special Needs
Community Advisor Committee
May 15, 2019 | 6:00pm-8:00pm
PYLUSD Professional Development Academy, 4999 Casa Loma Avenue, Yorba Linda, CA
Inquiries contact: [email protected]com
The Special Needs Workshop is for parents and grandparents of a child with a disability. Through real life stories and easy to understand legal principles, our presenters help parents understand the legal and practical steps they must take to ensure a lifetime of love and care for their child. Our presenters are personally involved with organizations that benefit children with disabilities, and they are committed to helping parents obtain the services, care, education, and future that their family deserves.
Who Should Attend
The 10 Legal Protections For Children With Special Needs Workshop is designed for parents, grandparents, and relatives of any child with a disability (minor or young adult) .
What You'll Learn
- How to name a guardian for a child with a disability
- How to avoid a long and expensive court process known as probate
- How to pass money to a child with a disability in a way that would not disqualify them from receiving government benefits
- What is a special needs trust and whether it’s necessary
- What is a conservatorship and what are the alternatives
- How to ensure your child can live the lifestyle you envision for them if anything should happen to the parents
- How to leave behind far more than just money
Attendees usually receive a free Memorandum of Intent to document their vision for their child’s life if anything should happen to the parents.
How long is the Special Needs Workshop?
This workshop usually runs between 1 ½ - 2 Hours.
Does my spouse need to attend with me?
Usually it is best if both spouses can attend, but it is not required.
What if I already have an estate plan?
Many people who attend our workshops already have some type of estate planning in place. They use the workshop as an opportunity to re-evaluate their choices, or to feel more confident that their existing plan will fully protect their family.
Can I bring my kids with me to the workshop?
Our event schedule will note if childcare is offered at the workshop you will be attending. Many people bring their babies with them into the workshop even when childcare if offered. It's completely up to you. We do not reccomend toddlers or older children attend, mainly because of the subject matter discussed.
Our Special Needs Workshop receives outstanding reviews, including these:
- Very informative presentation, not just from professional people but also caring and compassionate.(Roxanna, Orange)
- This workshop is excellent and should be made available to all families! (Dean, Tustin)
- This workshop was very eye-opening and helpful! I feel by doing this I can sleep better at night. (Ellen, Ladera )
- Thank you for presenting this information in a way that is easy to understand! (Erica, Garden Grove)