Quick-Step: Say sorry.
What it is: It is an extremely important word most of us do not like having to say.
Why you need this: Everyone makes mistakes, but admitting them can be tough. Learning to say I am sorry, both for adults and for children, is an important practice that helps mend and honor relationships, frees us from regret, and allows us to experience forgiveness.
Estimated time: 5 seconds to indefinitely, depending on what you did!
How to do it: If it is hard for you to say "I am sorry", try any of the 10 alternate phrases below, and make every effort to avoid the poor behavior or action going forward.
1. My reactions were too extreme.
2. I really blew that one.
3. Let me try again.
4. I want to be gentler to you right now and I don't know how.
5. Tell me what you hear me saying.
6. I can see my part in all this.
7. How can I make things better?
8. Let's try that one over again.
9. What you are saying is...
10. Let me start again in a softer way.
Source: The Gottman Institute, Inc.