Quick-Step: Finding out about your kid’s day
What it is: Ask “How was school today?” and get an actual answer!
Why you need this: Every mom or dad has asked their kid the question “How was school today?” and got either no response at all or the standard “Fine.” Of course more things happened to them, but how can you get them to open up? This list will give you some suggestions on how to ask that question in way that will actually get you a response!
Estimated time: 5 minutes after school everyday
How to do it: This article by Simple Simon and Company has a list of 25 different suggestions. Here are some of our favorites.
- Tell me something that made you laugh today.
- Where is the coolest place at the school?
- How did you help somebody today?
- Who would you like to play with at recess that you’ve never played with before?
- Who is the funniest person in your class? Why are they so funny?
- If you could trade seats with anyone in your class who would you switch with? Why?
Asking specific questions will get your kids to really think about their day and their answers will reveal a lot more about their friends, favorite things, and subjects in school. If you have teenagers, check out this article for suggestions on things to ask them to get them to open up!