How do I legally designate someone to raise my kids if I pass away?

Parents can name permanent guardians for their children in a standalone Nomination of Guardian Form, or in their Wills. Additionally, parents should name temporary guardians who can keep the kids during an emergency until the permanent guardians can assume their role.  Parents should also establish a Kids Emergency Plan to prevent their children from being placed in the care of strangers, and to appoint individuals to make medical decisions for minor children during an emergency.