We Answer Some Frequently Asked Questions About Estate Planning

  • Page 5
  • What is a Special Needs Trust?

    A Special Needs Trust is a legal document that allows you (and anyone) to pass money to your child with special needs, in a way that would not disqualify your child from receiving government benefits, now, or in the future. Special needs planning is highly technical and involves a lot of moving parts. We can help you understand how you need to structure your family trust together with your child’s special needs trust, so your complete plan is connected and works together seamlessly. 

  • Can I transfer my international assets into the name of my U.S. revocable living trust?

    Typically, no.  But there are other options for addressing what happens to foreign assets when you pass away, depending on what country the assets are located in. 

  • Can I transfer my rental properties into my revocable living trust?

    Yes, you can, but for liability reasons, often the use of LLC’s may be a more attractive option, depending on whether you have a mortgage on your rental properties.  You should talk with us about the best way to own your rental properties, so we can provide you your best options. 

  • Can I transfer out-of-state properties into my revocable living trust?

    Yes, you can.  You will need to take title or change title on out of state properties in the name of your trust to eliminate the need of opening a probate wherever your real properties are located. 

  • Can I prevent my spouse from giving my money away to a new spouse if I pass away?

    Yes, if you set up a revocable living trust and structure if with certain protections and restrictions.  For married couples owning joint assets, you can decide how to direct your half of the money when you pass away.  Sometimes, spouses choose to leave their share of the money to the surviving spouse, outright and without any restrictions.  This means that while the surviving spouse retains complete control and flexibility over the late spouse’s assets, the surviving spouse is also free to give the money away to a new spouse, or lose it to a creditor, predator, lawsuit, or divorce.  Spouses do have the option to safeguard their share of the money upon their death, so it can support the surviving spouse, but also prevent his or her from giving it away to anyone other than the secondary beneficiaries they had agreed on (usually the children), or losing it to an ill-intentioned third party.

  • Is a Trust publicly filed?

    No.  A Trust is not publicly filed.  It is a private legal document.

  • If a Trust is private, how would others know it exists if I pass away?

    Typically, your assets, such as a home, bank account, life insurance policy, or retirement account, are somehow connected to the trust, either through the way these assets are owned, or through death beneficiary designations.  This alerts family to the existence of the trust. We recommend that if you have a Trust, you tell your Trustee where you keep the Trust and how to contact your attorney in an emergency. 

  • My loved one died but they had a trust. What do I do now?

    If your loved one had a revocable living trust in place when they passed away, you will need to begin the trust administration process.  You should contact us right away as there are time sensitive deadlines for administrating the trust.  Even if the surviving spouse is still alive and it was a joint trust, you will still need to talk to an attorney to determine what is required to be done per the terms of the trust.

  • What is the difference between a revocable living trust and an irrevocable trust?

    An irrevocable trust differs from a revocable trust because the assets you hold in it are no longer considered part of your taxable estate.  It can provide protection from creditors, predators, lawsuits and divorces during your lifetime. Most people who set up an irrevocable trust do so in addition to setting up a revocable trust.  It’s important to be strategic about which assets are placed in an irrevocable trust because the owner loses some flexibility and control over those assets during his or her lifetime. 

  • What is the difference between a Will and Trust?

    Both a Will and a Trust are legal documents that identify who you would like to inherit from you if you pass away.  However, a Will is still subject to a long and expensive court process known as Probate when you pass away, while a Trust avoids the need for Probate and allows you to pass your assets privately, and efficiently, without the hassle of court. 

  • My loved one died without having any legal documents in place. What should we do?

    If a Will or Trust cannot be located, you should contact us as soon as possible. Many families find that when there are no legal documents in place, they may have to go through a court process known as Probate to determine who is responsible for making decisions now that the loved one is gone, and where the assets must go according to the law. 

  • How would my family know who I want as a guardian?

    It’s important to make sure that your Will could easily be found if you were to pass away.  We recommend that you let your family know where you keep your important estate planning documents and how to get in touch with your attorney in case of emergency.