Quick-step: Write a Family Mission Statement
What it is: A Family Mission Statement is a simple written statement developed together by all members of the family that identifies your family’s core values and what you hope to become and achieve together.
Why you need one: Writing a mission statement is a simple, yet powerful way to bring greater purpose to your family, and serve as a guide when making important decisions impacting your family.
Estimated time: 30-60 minutes
How to do it:
- Have each family member identify their three most important values (young kids should participate!)
- Give each family member a turn to verbally share their three most important values with the other family members without interruption or judgment.
- Identify the three most common values among the family members and write them down. It doesn’t mean other values aren’t important or less, it just means you are focusing on the three most SHARED values. (Example: Education, Forgiveness, Philanthropy)
- For each shared value, identify how you want that value to impact your family. (Example: Education- To increase our knowledge and expand our abilities in our community. Additional Example: Forgiveness- To move forward together as a family focusing on our family’s strengths instead of our mistakes and shortcomings.)
- Put it all together in one simple statement. Here is an example:
“The [Your Family Name] Mission is to continually come together to….
- become more educated, so we can increase our knowledge and expand our abilities in our community;
- Freely forgive, so we can move forward together as a family focusing on our family’s strengths instead of our mistakes and shortcomings; and
- Be philanthropic, so we can share our wealth and love with others in our world.”
For additional guidance on creating a Family Mission Statement, feel free to contact your Newport Beach Trust and Estate Planning Attorneys at Meier Law Firm. We have some great resources you can use to reach your family’s unique goals.