Spring Break is just around the corner, and for those of you who are fortunate to be getting away, make sure you’ve completed these essential action items so you can relax and enjoy your well deserved break!
1. Make sure whoever you are leaving your kids with has temporary authorization to legally care for your children and make their medical decisions while you’re away, so the government could not step in and direct these decisions.
2. Make sure your family members know where you keep your important documents, such as your will and trust, and your list of financial accounts and policies, so they would know what to do in an emergency and how to contact your family lawyer.
3. Make sure your medical directives like your living will and advanced health care directive are accessible to you so you could receive treatement according to your wishes wherever you are traveling.
4. Make sure you’ve updated your estate plan so it affects your current wishes, which may have changed since you created it or last updated it.
5. Make sure all of your financial accounts and assets are connected to your living trust so money would not end up going to the government or probate.
6. Make sure you’ve recorded your special memories and dreams so your kids would always know how much you love them.
For those of you who haven’t done any or all of these important tasks, there is no need to worry. Meier Law Firm is a Newport Beach estate planning law firm designed to serve families just like yours, and we can help you complete these essential steps so you can travel worry free. Visit us at meierfirm.com or call 949.718.0420 to get started now.